Big Cedar Trail Highlight
Written By: Lori Crider
There is a little piece of Heaven high atop Prayer Mountain in Dallas, overlooking Joe Pool Lake called Big Cedar Wilderness! It’s a hidden gem on the highest escarpment in Dallas, winding through cedar and hardwood forests with descents into the valley including many elevation changes, giving it the feel of the Hill Country!
The property is owned by Mountain Creek Community Church and is maintained by both the church and Dallas Off Road Bicycle Association www.DORBA.org. It features a pavilion with restrooms, complete with showers and about 25 miles of trails. These trails are designed for mountain bikers nut hikers are welcome.
This is from the TrailForks app, which I highly recommend using as it helps to stay oriented and make the most of the time on the trails.
List of Trails in order:
- Texas Sunset (Purple)...(this loop starts just to the left of kiosk. You can chose to do Texas Sunset first or last) Advanced
- Ranger (white) (This is the MAIN LOOP) Beginner - Intermediate-Advanced
- Blue Canyon (orange inside of white, it is part of the Ranger Loop) Beginner
- SXSW....South by South West (orange) Intermediate-Advanced
- Dragonfly (light red) Beginner
- Crooked Tree (green) Beginner
- Copperhead Ridge (yellow) Advanced
- Man Bites Dog (dark red) Intermediate-Advanced
- Highway Rim (yellow) Intermediate
- Lower 40 (light green) Beginner
- Emerald Lake Loop (light orange) Beginner
- Death Valley (light blue) Intermediate
- Pack Mule (green) Intermediate
- I Can (Pink!) Beginner
- S.O.S (red) Advanced
- Barbwire(crimson red) Intermediate-Advanced
There are many cool features to see at BCWT including a hidden waterfall, a tree that chose life over death, several scenic overlooks, amazing sunset views, plenty of elevation changes as the trails traverse the lovely forest across the highest point of the escarpment. It’s a true oasis in Dallas, perfect if you enjoy a peaceful, uncrowded time in nature. If you enjoy the overcrowded Cedar Ridge Preserve located on the same escarpment, you will love Big Cedar Wilderness!
Get out and ExploreMore of DFW!